Friday 22 July 2011

R.I.P. Lucian Freud

It would not be too grand a statement nor an exaggeration to say that Lucian Freud was without doubt until a couple days ago one of the greatest living painters of his time and also our time. For decades he has captured raw emotions and people, his friends in a way that is his and his alone. I was mesmerised early on by the late Francis Bacon, Freud's friend an contemporary. It grew to become an obsession one fo my best friends in school at the time, Ria Kirby who is also a viciuosly talented artist was inspired by Lucian Freud.
Many years later, I bumped into Ria and Mr. Freud at the Wolseley, she was his art handler at the time and later sat for him, all this from a chance meeting. It reminded me that art is a living thing and someone who has contributed to the history of art in the way that Mr. Freud has will be remembered, and his paintings will always be around and loved.

R.I.P Lucian Freud
8 December 1922 – 20 July 2011 (88 years old)

1 comment:

  1. Chom, its so sad, I like your post. Thanks for your message. Ria xx

    ReplyDelete